Table of Contents
OR, Gospel-Churches, A Standing ORDINANCE OF Jesus Christ,
TO Continue to His next Personal Glorious Coming, plainly Proved; Objections particularly Answer’d.
Baxter, Richard, 1615-1691.
Table of Contents
TO THE READER.
THE PREFACE To the ensuing Discourse.
Gospel-Churches, A Standing ORDINANCE OF Jesus Christ.CHAP. I.Demonstration I.
CHAP. II.Demonstration. II.
CHAP. III.Demonstration. III.
CHAP. IV.Demonstration. IV.
CHAP. V.Demonstration. V.
CHAP. VI.Demonstration. VI.
CHAP. VII.Demonstration. VII.
CHAP. VIII.Demonstration. VIII.
CHAP. IX.Demonstration. IX.
CHAP. X.Demonstration. X.
Let explain that this work is an old work, and it is kind of difficult to follow, as Baxter’s speech is of his day, not our day.
1. Sore, great Persecutions, hath he oft raised against them from the first dayes of the Gospel, till now.
2. Schisme amongst the Churches of Christ
3. False Doctrine, Worship.
4. False Visions, lying Revelations; upon which many times, false Doctrine, Worship, hath been built, supported.
5. Pretensions to a more than Ordinary Authority, Power. False-Prophets, Pseudo-Apostles there were even in the Apostles dayes,
6. False Miracles, Lying Signs and Wonders.
7. Open, avowed, oppositions to Gospel-Institutions of this device of Satan to ruine the Churches of Christ, we might give a distinct, and large account; some there were of old that opposed, denied, some particular Ordinances; others refused communion with the Churches, as no Churches of Christ.
Two things must here briefly be enquired into.
1. What a Gospel-Church, or an Instituted-Church of Christ is.
2. That such a Church is of the Institution of Christ.
Gospel Churches is a Reformed examination of the Bible's teaching on the Church of the New Testament. Baxter talks of what the New Testament should be. A little difficult to follow him in that of his old English speech.
|Date:||May 12, 2020|